Pinterest Instagram

Most Memorable Experience

Watching the youth perform raps, poems and theatre skits about reconciliation in the middle of Kibera, east Africa’s largest slum.

Peter Zook

Journalism & Mass Communications, Sociology
IAP Nairobi, Kenya

Financial Aid

IAP encourages everyone to complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) even if they do not receive aid on campus. You complete a FAFSA as normal and do not need to indicate you are studying abroad.

IAP reports the total cost of the program, not just the program fee, to the Office of Student Financial Aid for all participants.

Once you are accepted to your programs, student financial aid packages are reviewed based on the new costs of the study abroad program. If eligible, the increased study abroad costs may result in an increased award to the maximum level for a given type of aid.

The types of federal financial aid offered through FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) that can be used for study abroad on a UW-Madison sponsored program for a semester, year, or winter break duration are:

Work Study funds cannot be applied to study abroad program fees. However, declining Work Study for the term you are abroad can be a strategy. Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for more details.

Graduate students receiving a tuition remission should inquire with their home department about whether it will apply when studying abroad. There are various types of tuition remissions on campus and some will and some will not continue to be funded.

Some examples of the State of Wisconsin grants and scholarships offered through FAFSA by UW-Madison that can be used:

Summer Financial Aid Guidelines for Study Abroad

  • Must be enrolled at least half-time in a program session of 4 weeks or longer
  • Apply for next year's FAFSA for summer study abroad financial aid. (For example, if you are going abroad Summer 2013, apply for the 2013-2014 FAFSA). The Office of Student Financial Aid recommends that you apply by March 1.
  • Notify Office of Student Financial Aid if you want financial aid by clicking on the "Summer Application" link in the financial aid screens of the Student Center (available in March)
  • Awarded primarily Direct Loans, not grants for summer study abroad
  • The Office of Student Financial Aid will NOT process any loans (including private student loans) for programs less than 4 weeks in duration
  • Students may consider non-certified loans by contacting lenders directly

  • For information on alternative loans, click here

    TIP: It might be possible to use a current aid year's Direct Loans for a summer study abroad program. If you were awarded Direct Loans for the current aid year and declined them, you can reinstate them. This means Direct Loan funds would disburse in the current spring term. If all charges are paid, a refund check is issued that you can deposit and use for airfare, other pre-departure expenses, program fees, etc.

    Working Abroad

    Countries have different regulations and opportunities regarding foreign student workers. In many countries it is not possible or very difficult for study abroad students to find employment. Applicants should not count on employment as a source of income during their program.
    You can find further information at the U.S. State Department.

    Financial Aid Student Profiles

    Check out student testimonials about their study abroad financial aid and scholarship experiences here!

    Financial Aid Contact

    Office of Student Financial Aid
    Heidi Johnson
    Sr. Financial Aid Advisor
    Phone: (608) 262-3060
    To schedule an appointment with Heidi, please call the main office number.
    Location: 333 East Campus Mall