Study Abroad Scholars
Discover the world...and bring the world back to Wisconsin!
Study Abroad is an integral part of a UW-Madison education and can be one of the highlights of a student's time here. IAP hopes to make this possible for as many Badgers as possible with Study Abroad Scholars awards, starting at $1,500 towards IAP short-term/summer program, $3,000 towards IAP semester programs, and $4,000 towards IAP year-long programs. All students applying to IAP programs should consider this award!
Additional consideration for some of the awards will be given to students who possess the following characteristics and/or traits:
- First generation college student
- First time abroad
- STEM majors (science, technology, engineering, and math)
- Cumulative GPA above 3.8
Students attending any IAP program are encouraged to apply to become a Study Abroad Scholar. For some of the awards, additional consideration will be given to students planning to participate on IAP programs meeting the following criteria:
- IAP Programs listed in the "UW Programs" Category
- Semester and Year-long Programs
As study abroad not only benefits those participating on the program, but also helps enrich the UW-Madison community as a whole, all Study Abroad Scholars are required to carry out a "Share Your Experience" project upon return from abroad that helps to promote study abroad and international awareness at UW-Madison. Some examples of projects may include but are not limited to:
- Assist IAP in areas that may include: presentations; open houses; information sessions; annual Study Abroad Fair; program orientations; video profiles for website
- Partner with student organizations or academic departments: presentations; sharing a research/project done abroad; annual Undergraduate Symposium; peer mentoring within a major; submit an article on your experiences abroad to campus newspaper or academic department newsletter
- Volunteer and participate in campus or local international events such as International Education Week and International Fair, or join and actively participate in an international group or organization on campus
- Present on study abroad opportunities at Freshman Orientation or in First-Year Experiences courses encouraging students to consider study abroad earlier rather than later in their undergraduate career
Student Eligibility Requirements
In order to be considered for the IAP Scholars scholarship for this application round, an applicant must:
- Be in the process of applying, or have already applied, to an IAP study abroad program for Winter Break 2014-2015, Spring Break 2015, Calendar Year 2015 and Spring semester 2015 (UW Global Gateway Programs are not eligible)
- Be a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate student at UW-Madison
- Submit completed IAP application materials online by September 30, 2014
Completed applications must be submitted online by September 30, 2014. If your study abroad program application isn't due until after this date, you must still submit your scholarship application by this date to be considered. Incomplete applications or applications submitted to the office will not be considered.
To apply, please log into Scholarships@UW through your student center or by going directly to their website: http://scholarships.wisc.edu/Scholarships/. You will need to create a profile and answer questions to being the application.
Interested in more information about study abroad scholarships?
For additional scholarship information, visit our scholarship website.