Discover the world...and bring the world back to Wisconsin!
This competitive scholarship provides students with financial awards starting at $2,500 towards the eligible IAP study abroad program of your choice, and the chance to share your experience to the UW community upon return. Students applying to study abroad through IAP during the summer 2013, fall 2013, and academic year 2013-14 in the following regions, programs and/or languages are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Program location in Africa / Asia / Europe / Latin America / Middle East / Oceania
- UW in India program
- Portuguese language program offered in Brazil and Portugal
Special consideration will be given to students who possess the following characteristics and/or traits:
- First generation college student
- First time abroad
- STEM majors (science, technology, engineering, and math)
All IAP Scholars are required to carry out a “Share Your Experience” project upon your return from abroad that helps to promote study abroad at UW. The project will be done at UW with the assistance and approval of IAP and must be completed within one semester upon your return to UW. Some examples of projects may include but are not limited to:
- Assist IAP at presentations, open houses, information sessions, or staffing study abroad information tables on the UW campus
- Staff your program’s table at the annual UW Study Abroad Fair
- With assistance from IAP, complete a video profile of your experience for the IAP webpage
- Submit an article on your experiences abroad to IAP, campus newspaper, your academic department newsletter, and/or your hometown newspaper
- Present on your study abroad program at an academic club, student organization, or honor society meeting
- Volunteer and participate in campus or local international events such as International Education Week and International Fair, or join and actively participate in an international group or organization on campus
- Present on study abroad opportunities at Freshman Orientation or in First-Year Experiences courses encouraging students to consider study abroad earlier rather than later in their undergraduate career
Student Eligibility Requirements
In order to be considered for the IAP Scholars scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be in the process of applying, or have already applied, to an IAP study abroad program for summer 2013, fall 2013, or academic year 2013-14
- Be a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate UW Madison student
- Have at least one semester remaining at UW at the conclusion of studying abroad
- Submit completed application materials to IAP by the posted deadline
Completed applications must be submitted by March 1, 2013. Incomplete applications will not be considered. To apply, log into your program application and click on the “Apply for Scholarships” tab at the top of the page. Select “IAP Scholars” from the drop down menu and enter your essay in the text box. It is not possible to save your essay online so IAP encourages you to save your essay in a word document before uploading it in the application. After you have finished entering your essay, hit the submit button to complete the application.
Interested in more information about study abroad scholarships?
For additional scholarship information, visit our scholarship website.