Goals and Expectations for Study Abroad Participants
Making the most of your study abroad experience starts with selecting a program that's appropriate for you, and continues as you complete your program and return to the US.
IAP programs complement and enhance on-campus learning at UW-Madison. Because every program has unique learning objectives, it's important for you to consider how each program can help you meet your specific goals.
No matter what program you choose, all IAP study abroad offerings are designed to help students meet a core of common goals. Keep these in mind as you select a program, prepare for departure and complete your program:
- Increase independence, adaptability and flexibility
- Understand and navigate cultural and geographic differences
- Cultivate and reflect on personal values and assumptions
- Learn about and from the community in which you live and study
- Apply all you've learned abroad to your life at UW-Madison and beyond
- Serve as a cultural and academic ambassador of UW-Madison
- Prepare for success in a globalized, interconnected world
- Articulate how your experience abroad enriches your life & helps you meet your goals