Study Abroad Photo Contest
Send us your best snapshots from abroad and take part in IAP's Study Abroad Photo and Video Contest! Winning submissions will be featured on the IAP website, across campus, and in study abroad promotional materials.
Photo contest winners will receive a canvas print of their winning photo!
Guidelines for 2016-17
Submissions will be accepted until Friday, March 24th 2017. Entries will be reviewed by judges who will choose finalists in each category. Winners will be announced early April.
- Cultural Snapshot
Personally experiencing another country allows you to expand your worldview beyond surface-level differences. Submit a photo that reflects the local culture of your program.
- Postcard Perfect
"A picture is worth a thousand words." Submit the photo you think is postcard quality and says the most about your unique study abroad experience
- Badger Pride
Show us how you demonstrated your Badger pride while abroad (even better if Bucky somehow makes an appearance!)
- Out in the Field
Not all learning occurs in the classroom. Show us your best fieldwork, site visit, and research photos that highlight the "getting your hands dirty" aspect of study abroad.
Contest Rules & Eligibility
Who can enter?
- UW-Madison students who participated in an IAP sponsored study abroad program.
What photos can be submitted?
- Photos taken during your study abroad or domestic study away experience
- Photos taken by you (the person submitting the photo).
- Photos may not be digitally altered beyond basic color correction.
- Photos can be color or black & white.
- Photos must be the original digital file (no Facebook photos).
- Photos must be submitted as one of the following: .JPEG or .PNG file types. Filenames must follow this example: Country_City_PhotoTitle_Category_FirstNameLastName.jpg
What are the rules?
- Eligible participants may submit a maximum of 3 photos per category.
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Each submission must include a brief description (up to 150 words) describing the photo.
- Entries will be judged on artistic expression, creativity, originality, and image quality.
- Photography is a useful tool to help convey an experience or a memory, but as a global citizen, it is important to recognize the power photos can have and to share them ethically.
- Therefore, submitted photos must be culturally appropriate and sensitive. Please avoid submitting images that:
- Make false generalizations
- Lead to inaccuracy or misrepresentations of the host country, people, or setting.
- When submitting photos of people, think less like a tourist and more like a local who is communicating what it is like to experience day-to-day events and activities.
- For more background information on this subject, please see the following links: